Friday, December 22, 2017

Homeschool Notes Week 21 - Christmas Break Begins


Saturday morning Emma and I went to WalMart first thing to pick up our online grocery order. I have to say, this is so easy! 10 minutes from the time we parked to the time we were done and ready to go home. We don't always use this because I can technically spend less money by going to Aldi, however I've reached the part of pregnancy where it's becoming difficult to walk around a store and grocery shop for an hour or more. I end up with contractions and pains in various places. Right now spending a bit more on groceries is worth it.

Other things that happened today:
  • Makayla worked. Of course! Retail means she's working pretty much every Friday and Saturday right now.
  • Kids did their weekly 30 minute turn with the video game system we bring up from storage and plug in on Saturdays. 
  • The tub and shower got a deep cleaning.
  • Bills were paid. 
  • I checked the rest of our homeschool progress for first semester. We're done! 3 week Christmas and New Year's break starts now!
  • Daddy and mommy worked on wrapping Christmas presents. 
  • I started looking for a new printer. Ours has died, which means it needs replaced before we start school back up in January. 
Sunday we got to go to church as a family. Mason was feeling good so we decided to just make it work with the cast and the big wheelchair. I'm so glad we were all able to go together! After church (and choir practice for Makayla) the kids took turns wrapping the gift exchange gift they each chose for a sibling or cousin. (My kids and my sister's kids do a gift exchange so on Christmas Eve when we all get together the kids get to give a gift to someone special.)

After dinner we surprised the kids with a gift. This year we were able to buy a series of 8 'family gifts' and we will open one each day between now and Christmas. They are all games of some sort, for varying ages. Today's game was Uno Moo. Almost everyone teamed up to play (one person chose to just watch) and it was a fun introduction to Uno for younger kids.

Monday we decided to open the family gift right after breakfast before Makayla needed to go to work. This one was Harry Potter Clue. Oh my, this one is fun! It follows a traditional Clue game in some ways (figuring out who, with what, and where related to the crime) but has some special things going on. First, you have house points and can lose them with dark mark cards, unless you have a special help card that protects you from the specific events on the dark mark card. Second, there are four turning portions of the board that change things in the castle: opening and closing doors into rooms, opening secret passages, etc. The game is always changing! This game is definitely aimed at older kids because it takes time, you need to be able to read (Oliver was able to play on his own, Caleb and younger needed a buddy), and you need to understand how to track the clues on the cards as you eliminate possible suspects, items, and rooms. Samuel and Tobias chose not to play, they pulled out Uno Moo from yesterday instead. Mason made it through one game with a buddy, Caleb made it most of the way through two games before abandoning his buddy.

After that is was off to work for Makayla and chores and play for everyone else. I did some organizing in a set of drawers that needed gone through. We had lunch. Tobias napped. I did Mason medical care. Daddy baked peppermint chocolate chip cookies. After Tobias woke up Emma grabbed some younger siblings to play Uno Moo while Daddy and some more of the kids pulled out Harry Potter Clue to play again. I waited for the nurse to show up to do my iron infusion. As soon as that was finished I made Chicken Alfredo for dinner.

Tuesday everyone got up, fed, and dressed as we usually do. Then my nurse arrived at 9:30am for my next iron infusion. Really, that takes up about an hour and a half of my day. By the time she left I needed to get going on cooking lunch. Makayla was already at the veterinarian office shadowing thanks to an aunt who could drive her while I was still hooked up to an IV. We did our afternoon routine. The kids opened a new game: Knot So Fast. This one will be a challenge for everyone!

Daddy was home by midafternoon. Then we had dinner and family time and decided to try making cake batter in our waffle irons. It wasn't too bad, but doesn't get crunchy like a waffle. The sugar content is too high to cook it long enough for that without burning.

Wednesday was the first day of break from seminary. That meant I got to sleep in until 7:00am and it was wonderful! We had a slow start to our morning and opened today's family gift. This one was a hit with a lot of the kids: Dr. Eureka Speed Logic Game.

Today was IV iron infusion #4. It happened at lunch time. The kids are more fascinated by the IV process each day. Me, not so much.

Thursday started off with an hour drive to my obstetrician's office for a check up. I now go for a check up every week until this baby arrives. I posted on the blog about today's visit. Once I got home from that the kids were ready to open today's family gift. It was a simple game called Let's Go Fishin'. Noisy, hilarious, and fun. Tobias shrieks every time he manages to snag a fish with his pole.

Lunch was easy because I had tossed it in the crock pot before heading to my doctor earlier in the morning. I put a couple cans of green beans in the crock pot and laid out a sliced ham on top. It was delicious with leftover rolls from dinner last night (polish sausage and bean soup).

I've started thinking about January, new years goals, and what our homeschool plan will be until Rebekah is born. I have papers and notes around my computer with ideas and I'm praying over it all to see what rises to the top and what falls off the lists.

Friday is here! I woke up to contractions this morning (totally normal for a great grand multipara - someone pregnant with their 10th or greater baby). They settled down after a half hour or so while I was making breakfast. We don't have any big plans for today beyond opening our next family gift and playing games all day. I'll also put in my online grocery order for WalMart this morning so I can pick it up tomorrow.

Happy Friday everyone!

3 comments:

  1. What a great week. Have a Merry Christmas!
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great family tradition you all have playing games together the way you do. My family cannot do that, so we don't. :)

    I wish you a very Merry Christmas! (And a baby who will turn head-down!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popping in to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.