Friday, December 15, 2017

Homeschool Notes Week 20


Monday I really debated if we would even call this a homeschool week. I started the day with an hour drive to bloodwork for my pregnancy, and hour back to our hospital for endocrinology bloodwork, and so on. Then early in the afternoon I realized we would be making a trip to the surgeon's office for Mason (an hour away) because his cast was rubbing raw the back of his thigh. Mason and I went, got his cast trimmed down and padded, and made it home 2 1/2 hours after we left.

I decided to look at each child's work and see where they are in each subject. Everyone is pretty far along in most subjects, so we're in good shape. I decided to set some minimal school work just to keep a routine going this week.

Tuesday the kids started up the homeschool week. We decided we've read enough in history for the 7th grade and under crowd for our first semester and even part of our second. So the kids agreed to changing things up a little. We are going to spend the time between now and baby Rebekah being born watching the entire Liberty's Kids series. This cartoon walks you through the events of the American Revolution with 40 episodes. The first one is called "The Boston Tea Party" and when I turned it on lots of kids were commenting that they recognized that topic.

Other school things we plan to continue for now are math (review, not new lessons), chemistry, and literature.

Life is about to get even busier because my doctor called with more blood panel results and does want me to get IV infusions of iron. I need 5 infusions over a 2 week period of time and it starts tomorrow. The biggest blessing is that my insurance company is sending them to our home to do the infusions!

Something I don't want to forget: Oliver decided he's ready for chapter books today and grabbed a Magic Tree House book off our shelves that we've never read. He's reading it and telling me about it and enjoying himself. Yay!

Wednesday the kids got school work going right after breakfast. I baked 48 muffins for lunch at 9am so things were ready for me to be sitting on the couch having my iron infusion during that time. The infusion went well.

Thursday was a nice at home day with snow outside and warm blankets inside. Mason is doing pretty well post-surgery. He had some swelling in his foot so today we are going back to elevating his foot off and on throughout the day.

We spent the morning working on school together. Math review for everyone was crazy because they all decided to math at the exact same time so I was fielding questions from all corners. I finally told a few kids to do something else and that I would work with them after I finished helping one or two others.

Friday is here. It is still cold outside. School work took up part of our morning. As I type this I hear Mason teaching Samuel to count to 100. Makayla is at work. I just finished placing our WalMart grocery pick up order. It's one way I'm taking care of my family while guarding my own energy. A couple minutes on the computer and tomorrow we just park outside our local WalMart and they bring out our groceries to the van. They even load it all for me.

It's time for a slow weekend.

2 comments:

  1. The Walmart pick up service is great. We are doing light school right now. I wondered if I was going to count this week but ended up being pleased that were were on track in the end.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! How I understand about fielding too many questions at once. :) The other day I was simultaneously helping with "This is the number 4; circle 4 spoons," dividing polynomials, multiplication/division fact families, and equivalent fractions. It's enough to make my head fall right off sometimes.

    Here's hoping for Mason's healing to go well and for those transfusions to be energy-giving instead of draining!!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.