Friday, September 16, 2016

Friday Mash-Up: Keeping it Real - Illness and Wisdom Teeth

This week has been a doozy! Saturday we had sick kids - everything from asthma acting up in a couple kids, to a sinus infection in one, to Joseph, my 11 year old, spending several hours throwing up. In and around that we went through the attic clothing storage, tried on fall clothing, figured out everyone's size, and made notes about what items will need purchased. I'll be doing some of that shopping tomorrow at Once Upon a Child and Plato's Closet. Sunday we stayed home from church to spare everyone our germs.

Monday we got the scheduled surgery date for Makayla's wisdom teeth removal - two days later on Wednesday morning. That meant her school week was going to be exactly 2 days long. The best part is that homeschooling makes that no problem at all! She'll take a couple days off and when she feels up to working on something she can. On Monday night Tobias started throwing up.

By mid-morning on Tuesday he had thrown up 7 times and hadn't had a single wet diaper in 10 hours. A trip to the pediatrician and a prescription for Zofran to help the nausea was the plan - but we were told that if he didn't keep anything down by that evening we would be heading to the hospital for an IV of fluids.

The highlight of my Tuesday was that while I sat and snuggled Tobias (and got thrown up on multiple times) my house kept functioning. The kids made food, did chores, and did their homeschool work too. The few times they had questions they simply came to the couch where I sat with the baby and brought their work.

Wednesday grandma came over in the morning to cuddle Tobias and keep an eye on the rest of the kids while I took Makayla to get those wisdom teeth out. We got home at lunch time and she camped out on the couch with a movie. She slept a lot too.

Thursday we all took the day off too. Makayla chose to get up at 5am and go to Seminary despite being less than 24 hours out from surgery. I love her, but she's a bit crazy and hardheaded. I have no idea where she gets that from. ahem. The day was spent playing, creating, and resting. I got time to go through my clothing and plan a fall capsule wardrobe (I'll share a post this weekend about it all). Oh, and Thursday evening Tobias threw up again. On me. And my pillow. Naturally.

Friday morning Makayla went to Seminary, did a quiz for her veterinary medicine course, and took a nap. She's got a couple days worth left of heavy duty painkillers but she is planning to try switching off the vicoden, it's just really strong and knocks her out for a couple hours at a time. For the rest of the kids and I it was back to school work as usual. We enjoyed our morning basket time, math, literature, scriptures, and so on.

In the end this week was just one more reminder to me of the unexpected blessings of homeschooling. Makayla didn't get behind on multiple classes because we can simply wait until she's recovered from surgery to move ahead. All of my children have been immersed in real life - caring for a sick baby, working around distractions, motivating yourself to complete tasks, and recognizing when you need help and asking for it.

Sorry for the lack of pictures - I just didn't have an extra hand to use a camera this week!

This post is linked to the Weekly Wrap-Up.

7 comments:

  1. Hopefully everyone is back in full health now. Sounds like you had a very busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are really resourceful when given the chance. Hope you babes feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my every understanding feeling. May you all be in good health next week!

    (And for many weeks to come!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everyone is better soon.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize you'd started another homeschool blog! I'm so glad I spotted it in the Weekly Wrap Up, I've missed reading about your children...and I'm floored that Makayla is 15...wow, where is the time going??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying health is restored to your family. You are such an encouragement to others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a week. Hope Tobias is better now. It's always scary to have a little one so sick.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.