Friday, May 1, 2020

April 25th- May 1st



Rebekah is enamored with dandelions. 
She loves carrying bunches around.

Saturday was a nice, quiet day as a family. There was cooking and eating. There was playing in the back yard. There was kinetic sand and Pokémon card battles. There was art. There was movie watching. Singing. Cleaning. Reading books. Basically, the same thing we've done for weeks, and still just as fun.

Sunday we had church at home. Some of the middle kids baked cookies with Daddy. We had a ham roast for dinner. There were kids creating with Model Magic. It was a lovely, restful day.


Monday morning rolled around and we finally got to the fish dissection Joseph and Emma needed to do for biology.


I have to say, it is always my least favorite dissection, because the fish smell is yucky. Various kids were excited to find they had finished their math book last week and so have this week off of math. We keep some math practice going all summer, but not every day.

In the afternoon we played in the backyard and I did haircuts on the boys. It was so much fun because we finally got a new set of clippers and this one is cordless. I love not dealing with dangling cords! Dinner was orange scones that Makayla made from scratch. They were delicious.

Tuesday I started the morning playing Sleeping Queens with several of the boys. Everyone had fun, and Rebekah even got in one the action as someone's helper. The repair man came to look at our washing machine. Our washing machine stopped spinning out last week, so we have to wring clothing out by hand and it takes twice as long to dry things. Thankfully, we have about 2.5 months left of the extended 5 year warranty we purchased, so the repair is all covered by the warranty. A secret for large families - the extended warranty is always worth the cost on high use appliances.

Wednesday was the last lesson in our Mammals unit from The Good and the Beautiful. We talked about wildlife conservation, endangered animals, and extinction. Then we did the optional end of unit activity - a jeopardy style game to review all the topics we've explored in the last nine weeks. It was so much fun, and the kids loved showing off the things they remembered. It was actually hard to get them to stop talking and explaining sometimes...ha! They had so much to share.


In the afternoon Joseph and Emma had their final biology lesson. It was the frog dissection. After all our dissections Emma has decided she really isn't a fan, while Joseph doesn't mind them.

It was a rainy day, more as the afternoon and evening went on. The kids were a bit wild and crazy stuck inside all day, but we tried to find a few things to keep them busy.

In the evening Emma's young women's group met over Zoom to do a Bob Ross painting class. She enjoyed herself.

Thursday was my birthday, I'm 39 years old. I decided to make chocolate chip scones for breakfast. They were delicious, but I think I prefer fruit scones. Lemon blueberry is sounding like something to try next. We worked on school while the washing machine was repaired. It rained on and off most of the day. Again.

Friday is here. Kids are done with school work. I need to look at what is left for each kid and make the official call of our last day of school. It will either be next Friday or the Friday after. My husband called earlier to let me know he has 22 stops to deliver to today, a very long day for him. He is likely to be home after bedtime, after waking at 2:30am to head to work. That means I'm already debating entertainment strategies to get everyone through Friday afternoon and evening.

Oh, and the governor extended our stay at home order for another month. Necessary? I don't think so. But we will make the best of it. I'm going to spend the weekend brainstorming May plans to look forward to with the kids, so there are fun things happening each week. I already know one - tie dye day. We've got the dye kits, two white shirts per person, and a stack of playsilks ready to dye. Now we just need a warm, dry day to do it all in the backyard!

Life is weird. How are you doing?

5 comments:

  1. Another month? Crazy!!! Our state has begun the slow phase by phase reopening of life, but they're doing it foolishly, and all of the small business owners are protesting. Honestly, I'm with the business owners. I cannot see at all how the plan will work.

    I hope your tie-dyeing day will be fun. It sounds like a whole lot of work to me. :) Rebekah's love of dandelions reminds me of my big girls when they were little. I don't miss the stains on their clothing from the dandelion "milk," but I do miss homemade bouquets delivered squashily to Mommy. My Ladybug is too destructive to allow her to pick anything from anywhere, so we have a "no picking" rule in place now.

    I, too, am trying to figure out how to transition from school to summer. I think it will depend a lot on when my teens and I finish reading Plutarch's Lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another month? EEEssssh. Of course, we're May 8 for stay at home and June 10 for something else, so I feel your pain.

    I hope you enjoyed your birthday, the scones sound delicious.

    Your poor husband must have been exhausted after all those deliveries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoyed your day a bit. The scones sound good. We are surrounded by states that are already in the process of opening. The folks from those states are flocking to our closed city and finding nothing to do. We are close to the edge of our state and a major vacation destination. Our state hasn't peaked yet and there are lots of new cases and deaths every day. I have no idea what is going to happen in May. I am worried about filling our time successfully when school is done.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! It was fun to catch up on how you're doing. I wonder how long they will drag the stay at home orders out? Into June surprises me a bit. I expect it will then be longer before church starts back up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday. I have decided to end the school year early next Friday due to the fact that the lockdown is nearly over. I have made a short list of things for all the children to do this summer. Of course we will still do ELA, math, art and the weekly Bible study lesson as normal. But the non core subjects like social studies, computer skills, history, French, animal awareness, gardening, cooking, drama, first aid, life skills, music and geography safely can wait until early September. I am officially shelving optional lessons from next Friday for a few months over this summer. I think that the children could all do with a extended break. During the lockdown, the kids have been really busy with the non core and core lessons.
    What are your plans for this summer? I decided last fall in mid October sometime that I wanted to take all the kids to a zoo in early June, not sure if that still will happen or not. Most places are re opening at last. I learned yesterday that a local gym near my apartment and other places of leisure and worship are opening back up. So this summer is not going to be as dull as I assumed originally. I live in England where things have not been as terrible. I will still pray though.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.