Friday, January 17, 2020

Pneumonia? Sure, why not?!

Saturday was full of rest. Few people were well enough to do much of anything. I did a grocery pick up order. We sorted our card games into storage boxes made to hold crayons. And we rested some more. Dinner was chicken noodle soup made in the instant pot for the few people up to eating.

Sunday Daddy took the only not sick kids to church (Joseph and Emma). A few of the middle kids at home pulled out Harry Potter Clue and played a leisurely game on the bedroom floor. The younger kids used kinetic sand at the table. I video chatted in for a Primary presidency meeting after church. By mid-afternoon the kids were all descending back into feeling yucky again. No more playing, just laying around resting. Tobias fell asleep on the floor. Samuel looked at me at dinner time and said, "I'm going to go take a nap in my bed."

Monday was another round of appointments. Three more eye checkups (no changes) and three more dental cleanings (one person with a cavity). In between, I spent an hour on the phone making more appointments: 1 for February, 3 for March, 1 for May. What was left of the day was our usual routine of dinner, family scripture study, and play. We are reading through the Book of Mormon as a family and studying it this year, and it has been a lot of fun so far. The kids are noticing things and relating it back to our study of the New Testament last year.

Tuesday I decided that Samuel really wasn't improving any more, so a check up was set for the afternoon. He has bronchitis now, and may have pneumonia. He started some meds and in 48 hours we will see if he is improving or if we need a chest x-ray and more aggressive treatment. Beyond that, I woke up unable to speak even as loud as a whisper. The kids loved it. We had to work together to get homeschool accomplished, with older kids taking a role in teaching during history because of the need to read aloud. Emma got some blood work for unrelated issues.

Wednesday Samuel was stable, but no improvements. I was still voiceless. Everyone survived.

Thursday things imploded a bit. Samuel was worse, so we put a call in for a chest xray. Yes, Samuel has pneumonia. They are continuing the current antibiotic and added a second. Daniel had dental work done. Emma's bloodwork came back with some bad answers and more bloodwork is scheduled for a few weeks from now with things like diabetes on the table as possible answers. I was still sick and not able to talk much.

Friday's high point was video chatting with Makayla. Friday low point was a 104 fever for Samuel, as well as fevers for Tobias, Caleb (going downhill now, had avoided being very sick up to now but also has a headache), and Joseph. Yep, the one who got this cold 2.5 weeks ago now has a fever and headache. I am not even going to guess what tomorrow will be like. The pediatrician said that if Samuel has a fever in the morning or isn't showing noticeable improvement then he needs to come in for Saturday hours. From there we may see a medication change or a hospital stay. I just don't know yet.

Needless to say, I'm tired. I napped for a little bit today while the teens were on duty and everyone was watching a movie.

On a positive note before I go check temperatures and pass out medications again:

Emma had a piece of her art chosen to be part of an upcoming gallery. She signed a loan agreement today and drops off her art tomorrow. The gallery opens February 28th. She is beyond thrilled.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats to Emma! I am so sorry for the illness raging through your home. Prayers to you all and I hope you can avoid the hospital.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! That's a whole lot of hard stuff. I will be sure to remember you in my prayers as I am too far away to offer a meal or a nap. Congrats to Emma! Here's going that whatever is going on with her health is easily managed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about all the sickness. Those poor little ones. Sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.