Saturday, September 29, 2018

2018-2019 Homeschool Week 7

Can we just cancel Mondays? I feel like I'm always running behind on Mondays with multiple kids asking for help with new lessons at the same time. Then there is hubby needing time to do his own school work, so I'm running interference to get kids to stop talking to daddy (we don't have a room he can go to with desk/table space other than right where everyone is already homeschooling). Add in appointments like today's bloodwork (me) and surgeon appointment (daddy). We learned that Daddy needs surgery on his shoulder and may have to take a full 3 months off work after surgery due to lifting restrictions. Rebekah also started climbing stairs and cruising furniture. It just feels crazy.

We did get all our school work done, as usual. We are still listening to Wonder and will finish it just before Book Club on Friday.

Tuesday was the day of phone calls to doctors checking on test results, reordering prescriptions, setting appointments, and getting information. School work happened. Brainstorming budget ideas for taking 3 months off work happened. I cooked some yummy pork fajitas for dinner. By evening Caleb was laying around with a fever and saying his head hurt. It's never good in a large family when someone gets sick. Just waiting to see how many this takes down.

Wednesday it was still just Caleb feeling sick. We took the day off of school to celebrate Mason getting his cast off (and to facilitate the 3 hours during the morning that I was gone with Mason to get that done). He now has a knee immobilizer (basically a Velcro cast) that we will use for a while, decreasing as healing continues. He was so happy to be able to take a bath today! One child DID do some school today because he is in the middle of a project and wanted to work on it.

Thursday was back to the usual learning routines. Kids juggled their Thursday and Friday schedule to even things out. Caleb's fever was gone but more kids started them. We cancelled Book Club for Friday so we don't share whatever mild germs are working their way through our house. Grandma (my mom, the kids call her Gwa) came over just before lunch and visited for a couple of hours.  It was so nice! Some weeks I miss adult conversation and having it randomly one afternoon was wonderful.

Friday's highlight was a date in the early evening for dessert with my husband. It was so nice to get dressed up and go out together without kids. I don't even have any other notes for Friday beyond more kids having fevers and laying around in blankets.

Saturday was grocery shopping and laundry and homeschool prep and an afternoon nap and family movie night. We popped popcorn and watched A Wrinkle in Time because it has made it onto Netflix. It was good and weird. It is Saturday evening and time to hit publish on this post so I can get kids to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Ugg! Fevers and sick kids are no fun. I read your comments on Anne's blog. You are both in a hard place right now. I never had more than 4 to raise at one time, but with three of them special needs, I do remember the hardship of that season. I hope you can find a way for more adult conversation and adult learning.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your sweet comment on my most recent post. Boy are we speaking the same language, and I am so grateful simply to know that I'm not alone.

    Now, my heart goes out to you as you face 3 months without income! I am sitting here hoping that you have at least a partial income option available through your benefits program, but that's probably a pie-in-the-sky kind of hope. How I hope your bishop and the church will see you through this season!!!! Maybe it will be an incredibly mixed blessing as your husband gets increased study and family time while he's off?!?

    Here's hoping the fever and sickness pass quickly through the family and without incident, that you get to reschedule your book club meeting and have lots of fun with it, and that you get the joyful adult conversation you need to keep going.

    You're doing a good work, and you're a constant good example to me!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.