Years ago our family started a homeschool book club with some local families. I wanted a group where children of all ages were welcome and all the local co-ops and clubs were for school age children. They didn't offer any whole family activities that included the baby/toddler/preschool set. I'm on my 15th year straight with babies, toddlers, and preschoolers - they have been an ever present feature of our homeschool from the beginning. Little did I know then the friendships that would grow from our little book club.
We have shared so many books together over the years, more than I have listed here, but these are the ones I have recorded. I know I'm often looking for book recommendations from others and love reading their book lists, so here is ours! We liked most of these books but your mileage may vary. If you have a question about a specific book on the list just ask in a comment.
Fun Fact – Our first book club meeting was March 3, 2010.
· 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne - this is our current book!
· Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers
· Stuart Little by E. B. White
· The Inventor’s Secret by Chad Morris
· The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop
· Poetry (varied, for a Mad Hatter Tea Party)· The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
· Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
· A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
· Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
· Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie
· Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
· The Green Ember by S. D. Smith
· Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Gilbreth
· The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
· The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
· The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
· Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
· The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright
· Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
· Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert O’Brian
· Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming
· The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
· The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit
· The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
· The Moffats by Eleanor Estes
· The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
· Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
· Little Britches by Ralph Moody
· A Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole
· Not sure what we’re missing here!
- Paddington Bear Stories – families chose any of the Paddington chapter books.
- Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers
- Rebecca of Sunny Brook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin
- Aesop’s Fables
- The Story Girl by L. M. Montgomery
- Fairy Tale month
- Not sure what we’re missing here, either!
· Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
· Meet Samantha by Susan Adler
· The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis
· Thomas Jefferson: Third President of the United States by Helen Albee Monsell (Childhood of Famous American’s series)
· Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney
· The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum
· Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
· (Part of this year we morphed into a Geography/Art club and did picture books too.)
· The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White
· Heidi by Johanna Spyri
· My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
· The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene DuBois
· The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
· Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter
· Beatrix Potter Month – The Tale of Peter Rabbit and many others
· Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum
· Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
· Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll
There you go, a host of wonderful read alouds to try. I would love to hear some of your family's favorite read alouds in the comments!