Friday, April 10, 2020

April 4th to April 10th


We had a lovely weekend at home watching General Conference. It was uplifting and encouraging. You can read, watch, or listen to the messages and music right here. Everyone had different talks that they enjoyed, stories they wanted to talk about and process, and ideas.



Monday we hopped right back in to the homeschool routine. New math lessons happened. Reading lessons. Language arts lessons. Elementary Science was focused on primates today. Joseph and Emma had a crawfish dissection for biology. In the afternoon we spent a while outside, just like we've done most days since the rain let up. Chalking on the sidewalk that was washed clean by recent rains, playing basketball, using swings, doing yard work, and taking a walk on nearby streets filled up our time.

We started our Easter scripture study today with a simple activity. I printed out and cut apart a coloring page with four prophets from the Book of Mormon and four images about things they prophesied about Christ, then passed out a picture or scripture reference to each child. Someone read a scripture, we figured out which prophet was speaking, and we found the picture that related to their prophesy of Christ.

Tuesday we had gray, rainy, thunder and lightning background to our morning of homeschooling. Everyone moves a little slower through their school when it is gray and rainy. Tobias was extra cute today. He is pretty picky about what books he wants me to read aloud to him. He likes to repeat books, like most 4 year olds. Today I offered him one of my favorite picture books - The Tale of Peter Rabbit - and he was so invested in the adventures of that little rabbit. I can't wait to reread it a bunch this week before I introduce him to another animal tale from Beatrix Potter!

Wednesday started really early when a giant storm blew through our area. Hail, thunder, and lightning woke up several people in the family. There was so much lightning that the thunder just kept rumbling without breaks. Everyone eventually went back to sleep and then started the morning at a more normal hour. We finished up our time in World War I today studying some heroes.

In the evening the little kids were getting rowdy and so I pulled out our sensory bin with new contents. We put 1/2" of water in the bin, wash cloths, scrubbers, and our plastic dinosaurs. They washed dinosaurs and played in the water happily.

Thursday's highlight was making cookies. The kids requested 'monster cookies', which is just their code for tossing in a few different chips/candies. Today was chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and M&Ms, with cinnamon and almond flavoring.

The kids agreed today's school highlight was history. We explored the Roaring 20s. Besides the lesson materials from The Good and the Beautiful History 2, we watched some YouTube videos on the 20s and jazz music.

Friday is here and most of us joined in a worldwide fast. We got school work is finished for the week. and we are getting ready to go start a fire in the back yard for dinner next.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Your monster cookies look really yummy right now! Isn't spring particularly marvelous this year??!!? Maybe it's just me. :) To answer the question you posed on my blog, I do think so, yes. I've seriously considered what we should cut out of our already very spare list of activities, but the inspiration I received during General Conference whispered otherwise. We get to enjoy this break, but then we need to get up and go to work in order to thrive in this world in which we live. I liked your story about Tobias. I have the same joyful reaction when I find a book that affects my children like Peter did for your sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week. My kids just adored Peter Rabbit as kids. I am so glad you all are thriving. I love spring.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.