Sunday, April 8, 2018

Week 32 Homeschool Notes


Monday was full as usual. There were homeschool lessons to do. Daddy and Makayla had a visit to the dentist. Mommy had blood drawn for thyroid labs (everything looks good, no medication dose changes) and renewed her driver's license - between those two tasks I was gone for 3 hours because both places were very busy. Meals were done. Chores and car repairs happened. The list just keeps going.

Family Home Evening was General Conference Jeopardy. I think the absolute best part was hearing my children during our game. Children who I was pretty sure were listening as little as possible during the 8 hours of General Conference and were so excited to share answers. One child had spent the entire weekend saying Conference was boring as we watched each session. I knew they only stayed with the family because of the candy (anyone who is in the room for the talks can grab a piece of candy at the end of every talk from a large bin we fill up just for General Conference). When Jeopardy started this child looked at me and said, "This is boring. I'm not playing. I'll sit here but I don't want to play." I have been working a lot to have positive interactions with this particular child who tends to butt heads with me, so I just welcomed that child to stay on my team and we started playing. When it would be their turn to choose a category I always offered the turn, and for a while it was declined. About 1/3 of the way into our Jeopardy game we hit a question for our team that this child knew the answer to and cared enough about to speak up. From that point on they were in the game and it was obvious that they really had been listening to General Conference and thinking about the things they had heard. (happy mom sigh!)

Tuesday there was no running around to do. We had a great morning of homeschooling. We got back into reading Esperanza Rising aloud for book club. There were our usual piano lessons. Dinner. And then the tornado sirens started going off. We had a major storm come through with tornado warnings for almost an hour. That makes some of my kids very edgy and unhappy, but we got through it.

Wednesday and Thursday the only notes I have say school, Cub Scouts, physical therapy, and hives. Samuel is still getting a few hives randomly. Bodies are just weird.

Friday I giggled at my life a few times. I was sitting between Caleb and Mason, who were both reading aloud to me from their All About Reading lessons at the same time (different lessons, so I was listening to different stories simultaneously). At the same time I was helping Oliver, Joseph, and Emma with math problems when they had questions. There are days where it would really help to have three of me! The other big thing to note is that Rebekah is now 2 months old. She's adorable and I'll try to get a post up with pictures soon.

Saturday was prom dress shopping with Makayla, grocery shopping, going through clothing and taking a load of things to Goodwill, chores, family time, and lots of school work for Daddy. I had a very long to do list and there is still a lot on it that needs done. I'm hoping to tackle a lot of that on Monday after a 3 hour trip to the wheelchair vendor to get some adjustments on Mason's chair.

That's it for this week. It's Sunday evening and I have a sweet baby girl who is ready to snuggle.

2 comments:

  1. OK. I absolutely cannot listen to two reading lessons at once! How on earth do you? I must send you a homeschooling mama award (virtual, of course and with my absolutely non-existent authority) for multi-tasking!!!! You rock!

    We have a Daddy doing lots of schoolwork, too, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks. I've heard these particular readers before with other kids so I know what the stories are and which words each child is likely to struggle with based on their own idiosyncrasies. They also read at different speeds, so it just works. I usually prefer to focus on one of them at a time for reading but on this day they just both insisted they do reading at the exact same time. Usually one will do math while the other reads to me, and then they switch.

      Delete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.