Friday, November 25, 2016

Another Sick Week - Puking and coughing and headaches, O my!

Last Friday I had one child who was throwing up, Daniel. By Saturday he was done. A couple of us went to see a movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Everyone who went loves Harry Potter and we agreed it was an interesting dive into that world again. The rest of the family had time with Grandma during the movie. Saturday evening Daddy and I finished up Christmas shopping online. Now to wait for things to arrive and get them wrapped!

Sunday morning I added three more to the throw up group, Caleb, Oliver, and Mason. It was not a great birthday present for Caleb, who turned 6 that day. I also got sick but avoided throwing up - barely. The missionaries came over to help my husband give the sick ones a priesthood blessing.
At 11:00pm Tobias woke up and started puking. It was a very long night.

With the throwing up I had to cancel two of Mason's appointments at Children's Hospital on Monday and reschedule them. I also declared Thanksgiving break so we had zero formal lessons for school. Makayla kept working on her NaNoWriMo novel. She started the week about 2 days ahead of schedule to hit her 50,000 words by the end of the month. She also had seminary on Monday and Tuesday mornings.

Tuesday saw many of us recovered from the stomach virus but Emma just beginning. It was a laid back morning with kids playing Monopoly and building with Legos.

Wednesday Grandma came over to visit and make pies with the kids. They made a chocolate pie, a peanut butter pie, and another dessert called cranberry fluff. Illness wise, several people are still dealing with illness issues, tired, headaches, sore throat. Including me. Boo!

Thursday - Wonderful Thanksgiving at home with some of the extended family. Delicious food and leftovers for tomorrow. We played games, watched some dvds, and just kept resting because some are still sick.

Friday I took 3 oldest kids to the doctor. These 3 never threw up but all have headaches, congestion, and other symptoms that aren't easing up. Two have viruses we'll keep treating symptoms. Joseph has pneumonia. We just can't catch a break. We're trying antibiotics because he's also one of my kids dealing with asthma but if it is viral the antibiotics won't help. Only time will tell. He has inhalers and we also have a nebulizer for breathing treatments if need be.

It's Friday afternoon now. We are at home doing quiet activities like playing Dragonwood, building with magnet tiles and Legos, and watching the bonus content for one of our Star Wars dvds. Or napping - depending on how they feel. I'm going to be optimistic and do our December homeschool planning and preparations this evening.

Other things I've been doing:
  • Cleaning for the sick kids.
  • Laundry.
  • Christmas shopping. It's done and now I just need to get things wrapped.
  • Picking out a planner/calendar for next year because we've already got 27 appointments (including speech therapy for Samuel and physical therapy for Mason) scheduled in January and February.
  • Contemplating personal goals for the first quarter of 2017.
  • Tracking down pictures to print for my Project Life scrapbook. I've been pretty inconsistent with picture taking and printing. I want to spend December fixing that.

I hope that if you're reading this you had a wonderful week with no illness!

7 comments:

  1. oh boy. You really are having a tough time of it with sickness. Really hope next week is much better for you in that regard. I'm so impressed that you've finished your Christmas shopping. I'm putting off thinking about it. The 21 year old who is currently in England and will be travelling throughout Europe for the next couple of month is easy - a transfer of cash - but the rest of them are pretty impossible. I'm hoping inspiration strikes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, we're hoping it gets better from here.

    Christmas shopping can be so hard the older they get! My teen this year directed me to fan shirts and jewelry for some books and shows she loves on Etsy and Redbubble. That was helpful! My boys mostly want legos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! This has been hard for you all!!! I remember one year we had a terrible winter of illnesses, and then we did really well for the next 5 years. That's what I'm going to hope for for you! 5 really good years ahead!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It does seem a bit neverending but we've done this before. One year we spent 6 weeks with pink eye going around and around. I think that was worse in some ways. I could use 5 good years though!

      Delete
  4. Tristan, you are amazing. You have had such a bad couple of weeks/months will illness - I am amazed at your tenacity to keep going. Good for you!

    By the way, you inspired me. I had done NO Christmas shopping, came and read your post, and felt so convicted that I got it all done last night (online). One of the children's gifts will be the Dragonwood game. :)

    I am continually amazed at your ability to handle little Mason's medical schedule along with the rest of the family. As our little guy has started to have more problems and is requiring more time-intensive treatment and medical appointments, I'm feeling overwhelmed and we're not at a fifth (a tenth!) of what you're putting in. Your example keeps me going. :)

    Happy Thanksgiving! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know what - I don't feel amazing. Most days I feel like I'm treading water decently well. And that's good enough for me. I have to laugh - a couple hours after putting up this post Joseph (the one with pneumonia) started throwing up. He had yet to join the stomach virus ranks. Checked that off the list.

      Isn't is wonderful to be able to shop online? Dragonwood is still played regularly here. Once you get it figured out play is fun and easy enough the kids won't need help after a game or two. It also includes some alternate rule versions for different ways to play.

      Praying you find wonderful solutions and help for your little guy and get into a good routine! It's always overwhelming to me when we have to change something with Mason, but after a month it becomes the new normal and I wonder why I felt so stressed. ;)

      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear that you were all ill this past week! What a way to spend a week! But, you inspire me with your strength.
    I am nearly done with my Christmas as well. I've made almost every member of the family something (finishing up with the nieces and nephew this week and next) and a run to a few stores with my mother this Wednesday coming up!

    Keep up the great work Mamma!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to speak kindly. Unkind or inappropriate comments will be quietly deleted.